Inspiring Communities began diabetes self-management workshops in January 2016. There are few entities that are ADA/AADE approved recognition programs that provide Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) in Contra Costa County. Approved entities include John Muir Hospital, San Ramon Valley Medical Center and Inspiring Communities. We have completed dozens of workshops primarily in West County and our target population has been seniors diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Our workshops are in English and Spanish.
Inspiring Communities Diabetes Prevention Program, also known as DPP
Inspiring Communities’ Diabetes Prevention Program is a 16-week program designed to help you make the lifestyle changes needed to prevent type 2 diabetes. DPP is available at no cost to you. Most health insurance plans cover this prevention service.
In just 16 weeks, you will learn and be empowered:
• To make lasting lifestyle changes while working with a lifestyle coach
• Learn ways to eat healthy and add more physical activity into your day
• Find ways to manage stress, stay motivated, and solve problems that can get in the way of your goals
What happens after 16 weeks?
• After completing 16 sessions of this program, it will be followed by 6 monthly Maintenance sessions that will serve as check-ins with your coach and group members.
Inspiring Communities Diabetes Self-Management and Support Program (DSMES)
A 5-week program designed to teach self-management practices that can help take control of your diabetes and delay or prevent complications. Please note that written referral from your medical provider is required. We will provide this form once intake is completed.
This program includes six, 2-hour virtual group sessions
During the 6 weeks we will cover topics to help you take control of your Diabetes such as:
• What is Diabetes
• Healthy Eating and Being Active
• Taking Medications and Monitoring Glucose
• Acute Complications and Chronic Complications
• Lifestyle and Healthy Coping
• Diabetes Distress and Support